Growing up, my mom never made pancakes from a boxed mix. They were always homemade and always this recipe. Even now, when I go home, I ask her to make them. My alterations to healthify/veganize the original recipe are listed in parenthesis.
makes 4 or 5 medium pancakes
- 1 1/4 cups flour (3/4 cup white flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar (cane sugar)
- 1 egg (1 flax egg: 1 tbsp flaxmeal + 3 tbsp warm water)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (1 cup almond milk)
- 2 tbsp oil
- cinnamon and vanilla extract to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl; stir until the lumps are gone.
- Heat a small, greased frying pan of medium heat. Pour the batter on the griddle and heat until brown on both sides
- helpful hint: a cooking pancake is ready to be flipped with the batter is bubbling on the “top” side